Rue Randell Clifford was an educator (1887-1964). A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley (class of 1909) she began her first teaching assignment at Portola School site now located under the Crystal Springs Lake. She then returned to earn a Masters Degree in English, after which she settled in South San Francisco. She resumed her career as a music teacher-and within a year she became the first instructor to be hired by the newly formed high school district. She taught at South San Francisco High School for 43 years until her retirement in 1955. She is remembered for her crucial role in creating a library for South San Francisco.